Reporting to the Deputy Athletics Director for Competitive Excellence, the Senior Associate Athletics Director for Student Success will serve as a high-performing leader and valued member of the senior leadership team with a focus on the academic and holistic development of the student-athlete. This position will be responsible for creating and implementing a vision and strategy for the academic support and student development department.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and implement a series of programming to emphasize and improve the holistic development and welfare of the department’s student-athletes, including but not limited to, academic support services, leadership development, career development, personal development, brand management, and community engagement.
- Develop and sustain a high-performance student-athlete development and academics team.
- Provide vision, supervision, and ensure the effective collaboration between the student success units.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive student-athlete development and academic support strategic plan to advance the mission of The University of Virginia Athletics Department.
- Collaborate with athletic department personnel and head coaches to develop and implement strategies, policies, and protocol that promote the academic success and welfare of student-athletes.
- Serve as an advisor and liaison to the Deputy Athletics Director/Competitive Excellence on issues impacting student-athlete success.
- Assist the Deputy Athletics Director/Competitive Excellence with setting strategic priorities to maintain optimal productivity and efficiency.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Leadership and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to comprehend potential issues and address them before they become problematic.
- Knowledge of general procedures to monitor and enforce rules and regulations.
- Ability and desire to perform accurate, detail-oriented work, manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and maintain confidentiality and a professional demeanor.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and sound judgments.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and fairness through recruitment, selection, and supervision of staff.