- Demonstrated successful experience playing and/or coaching the sport.
- Teaching certification or the ability to demonstrate a strong understanding of pedagogy.
- Current CPR/First Aid Certification.
- National coaching certification preferred (ASEP/NFHS/Other Governing Body).
- Understanding of basic fundamentals and movements of the sport.
- Knowledge of current trends, tactics, strategies, and skills of the sport.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, coaches, parents, faculty members and administrators.
- Experience working with urban students.
- Possess a thorough understanding of all PIAA and NFHS rules appropriate to the sport.
- Adhere to attendance, eligibility and discipline policies.
- Assist with collection and inventory of equipment.
- Attend scheduled meetings with head coach.
- Attend trainings, clinics, or conferences provided by the head varsity coach or athletic director.
- Attend all JV/Varsity practices which occur prior to the start of the middle school season.
- Communicate regularly with youth coaches running programs which serve as feeder programs.
- Actively recruit students and encourage participation.
- Assist with maintaining student participation during the season.