Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the position of Head Coach is responsible for recruiting student athletes; planning/coordinating practices and games; setting high standards for academic and athletic success; fundraising for athletic team; and evaluating the Virginia Peninsula Community College athletic teams that are participating at the competitive and/or National Junior College Athletic Association level.
The selected candidate should possess:
- Identify potential students-athletes to be recruited to participate in competitive and NJCAA sports and inform/notify the Athletics Director to initiate the recruitment process.
- Evaluate and assess potential student-athletes to be recruited to participate in competitive and NJCAA sports.
- Develops relationships with high school athletic departments and community members to seek recommendations for potential student-athletes.
- Seeks approval from Director of Athletics in scheduling conference and non-conference games and off-campus practices.
- Coordinates, teaches, and executes skills, drills, and strategies for designated practices
- Communicates game day strategies for potential results to win scheduled games.
- Works with Director of Athletics in scheduling and monitoring mandatory study halls for identified student-athletes to proactively address and resolve issues related to academic eligibility.
- Expertise in the sport having a collegiate coaching and/or playing experience.
- Excellent organizational, communication and leadership skills, whether dealing with individuals or groups and an ability to work well with different constituents.
- Ability to effectively analyze and teach the fundamental skills and strategies of the sport.
- Ability to successfully motivate all associated with the team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.