Prepares each participating student athlete for competition in sports activities, and helps them to achieve a high level of skill, an appreciation for the values of discipline and sportsmanship, and an increased level of self-esteem.
- Prioritize athletics as a supplemental program to support the academic mission of the school.
- Carry out the aims and objectives of the sports program as outlined by the Athletic Director and school district administration.
- Instruct athletes in individual and team fundamentals, sportsmanship, cooperation, strategy and playing tactics, and physical conditioning necessary to realize individual and team success.
- Assist the Athletic Director in scheduling intramural and interscholastic contests.
- Assist in planning and scheduling a regular program of practice in season.
- Maintain required attendance forms, insurance records, and other related documents.
- Assist in oversight of safety conditions in the facility or area in which the assigned sport is conducted at all times student athletes are present.
- Assist in establishing and implementing performance criteria for academic eligibility in interscholastic competition of the identified sport.
- Enforce code of conduct standards and sportsmanlike behavior at all times; establish and oversee penalties for breach of standards by student athletes.
- Recommend purchase of equipment, supplies, uniforms, etc. as appropriate.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES: Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Athletic Director, Principal, Superintendent or other district office administrator as designated by the Superintendent.
- Previous successful coaching experience in assigned sport.
- Knowledge and/or background in the assigned sport.
- Teaching certificate and experience preferred.
- Must be able to pass criminal background check.
- Valid drivers license.
- Must have knowledge of South Carolina High School League rules and eligibility.
- Must be cooperative, service-oriented, and able to work effectively with frequent interruptions.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must have the ability to exercise good judgment, organize tasks, follow written and verbal directions, and communicate effectively.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all inclusive. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job.
Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
Use strength to lift items needed to perform the functions of the job.
Sit, stand and walk for required periods of time.
Speak and hear.
Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision.
Communicate effectively in English, using proper grammar and vocabulary. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
Reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers to handle objects and operate tools, technology equipment, computers, and/or controls.
WORK PLACE EXPECTATIONS:
- Work effectively with and respond to diverse cultures or backgrounds.
- Demonstrate professionalism and appropriate judgment in behavior, speech, and dress in a neat, clean and professional manner for the assignment and work setting.
- Have regular and punctual attendance.
- Follow all District policies, work procedures, and reasonable requests by the proper authorities.
REPORTS TO: Athletic Director
DAYS PER YEAR: To be Determined
SALARY CLASSIFICATION: Paid on the Stipend Schedule
EMPLOYEE GROUP: Part-Time Temporary
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Must apply online by completing the appropriate application and adding this specific job to your online application.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt