DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Instructs students in adaptive physical education in accordance with the course of study adopted by the Board of Education.
- Develops lessons appropriate to the needs and abilities of each assigned student.
- Provides individual/small group instruction that meets desired goals and provides the best use of available class time in collaboration with the general education PE teacher.
- Assists students with developing healthy lifestyle behaviors and social skills.
- Identifies student needs and cooperates with other staff members in helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Uses a variety of instructional techniques appropriate for the ages and skill level of students.
- Interprets the abilities and disabilities of students and works cooperatively with classroom teachers who have physically restricted/mentally challenged students in regular classes.
- Evaluates student performance and prepares regular progress reports.
- Assists with screening, evaluating and recommending services of students in the school’s adaptive physical education program.
- Must possess or be eligible for a teaching license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia with an endorsement in Physical Education or completion of a bachelor's degree and additional coursework necessary to obtain a teaching license. Preference given to those who have completed an approved teacher prep program.
- Three years of teaching experience is preferred.
- Experience designing programs for physically restricted/mentally challenged students preferred.
- Must possess effective instructional delivery techniques and skills.
- Must possess an in-depth knowledge in the areas of adaptive physical education, nutrition, weight management, physical fitness, stress management and adult health education.
- Must possess knowledge of the needs of physically restricted/mentally challenged students.
- Must possess the ability to instruct students in adaptive physical education.
- Must possess excellent organizational and communication skills.
Hampton City Schools does not discriminate in employment against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age, disability or other protected class. Personnel decisions are based on merit and the ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.