ESSENTIAL SPORTS FUNCTIONS:
- Serve as Lead Site Supervisor for all youth and adult sports programs ensuring practices and games begin and end on time, monitoring weather and field conditions to make appropriate cancellation decision to ensure participant and staff safety, and officiating games as needed.
- Recruits, screens, and trains youth sports volunteer coaches to lead teams of participants each season and ensure these volunteer coaches adhere to the YMCA Code of Conduct.
- Leads all aspects of highly efficient and effective sports officials’ team including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, developing, scheduling and holding staff accountable on a daily basis.
- Conducts coach’s meetings for youth sports as well as orientations and captain’s meetings for adult sports programs.
- Follows registration calendar timeline that includes coach’s meetings, orientations, captain’s meetings, roster and jersey distribution, practice and game dates and make up dates while communicating these timelines with coaches, captains, participants and staff.
- Provides strong fiscal management in all areas of responsibility including managing the Jerry Long sports budget, staffing appropriately, payroll, ordering equipment, spending wisely, and taking corrective action as appropriate. Communicates with Senior Program Director-Sports as needed for financial support and transactions related to activities such as coordinating refunds and other financial questions.
- Ensures equipment is well-maintained, safe to use and properly inventoried after each season and completes all necessary field and court markings which include but are not limited to soccer, flag football, baseball, volleyball and basketball.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; or four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5+ years of experience leading staff and/or volunteers strongly preferred.
- Prior experience playing/coaching/refereeing organized sports, particularly basketball, soccer, volleyball, football and/or baseball strongly preferred.
- YMCA Team Leader certification preferred.
- CPR/First Aid/AED – must obtain certification within first 90 days of employment and maintain a current certification thereafter.
- Strong ability to develop innovative programming for participant retention and revenue growth.
- Strong ability to recruit, retain, and coach staff; while fostering a positive team atmosphere.
- Exemplifies a proactive, hands-on approach, as well as a professional work ethic.