This position facilitates learning, academic achievement and personal development by providing instruction to students. This class also develops and implements curriculum and lesson plans, utilizes technology to facilitate learning, and demonstrates understanding the varying learning styles and the needs of a diverse student population.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of current best practices, laws, including due process and Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), and interventions regarding the education of special needs students;
- Considerable knowledge of specific disabilities and familiarity with common children’s mental health disorders, as well as specific strategies/interventions to use in the classroom;
- Knowledge of child development;
- Knowledge of educational philosophy, teaching methods and approaches, and currently researched best practices and strategies;
- Knowledge of educational testing;
- Knowledge of learning theory, and students’ learning styles and needs, both academic and affective;
- Knowledge of Response to Intervention (RtI) and Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS);
- Skill in accommodations and adaptations for visual impairments, including reading and writing Braille, using low-vision devices, and utilizing assistive technology for vision impairments is required for some positions.
- Attends various meetings, such as staff, building, parent, team and case management;
- Communicates and provides consultation with team members, parents and guardians, the Special Education District of Lake County (SEDOL), and other outside agencies, regarding students, their interventions, medications, and programmatic needs;
- Develops data collection and data management systems; entering data into proprietary and other computer databases; analyzing data, identifying student needs, and recommending quarterly classes based upon individual student needs;
- Develops or utilizes assessment tools and progress reports, including the Illinois Interactive report cards;
- Develops positive and trusting relationships with students; counseling students and reviewing transition activities with students; and providing job coaching for students regarding their community job placement activities;
- Develops, adapts and implements curriculum and lesson plans and aligns curriculum with academic standards;
- Ensures that teams are utilizing concepts of least restrictive environment and best practices with students.