Individuals assigned to this position are responsible for planning and directing the daily swim/dive team practices and organizing season competition. This position may be responsible for assisting with pool set up, special events, and general maintenance. The position is within the Parks and Recreation Department and works under the supervisory direction of the Aquatics Supervisor, Assistant Aquatics Supervisor, or Senior Guards.
- Enforce and abide by policies and procedures mandated by the City of Lynnwood to ensure the safe operation of the pool.
- Plans and directs daily practice to instruct athletes in areas of deficiency; maintains daily attendance and dive meet records.
- Provides quality instruction, including swim/dive techniques, and determines season strategy for optimal performance.
- Provide lifesaving skills, first aid, CPR and notify 911 if necessary.
- Attends pre-selective staff meetings and events.
- Cleans and sets up or takes down pool equipment and boundaries before and after the practices and meets.
- Respond to questions or situations in person or on the phone.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of scoring and judging diving and swimming competitions and styles.
- Ability to teach and demonstrate required strokes or dives.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to lead and supervise team members.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with members of the community and public.
- Knowledge of public relations principles and practices and ability to effectively promote programs.
- Ability to react to emergency situations.