MHS is currently seeking a Head Coach for the Varsity Boys and Girls Cross Country team for a one-year ancillary position. The Head Coach is responsible for leading the program year-round to develop students athletically and competitively, as well as instilling character so they excel in their sport and in life. Qualified applicants should exhibit a commitment to high achievement and support for all students in a diverse, multi-cultural environment. The season begins in August and ends in October. Practices are generally Monday through Friday, after school from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. with meets multiple days per week (including Saturdays). Off season work is flexible and necessary for this position.
- Planning and overseeing all aspects of the sport’s program.
- Ensuring the program is competitive and character-building.
- Recruiting students to participate and collaborating with the primary and middle schools to develop talent pipelines.
- Establishing year round strategies and processes to train & invest in student skill development.
- Creating skill enrichment programs and opportunities.
- Leading all practice sessions and coaching at all events.
- Providing exceptional coaching and leadership of the players.
- Hiring and maintaining a coaching support staff.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experienced cross-country competitor. Experience competing at the college level is a plus.
- At least 3 years of successful coaching experience with demonstrated success in establishing a highly competitive program, while also instilling high quality character.
- Must have current knowledge of techniques, rules and regulations, and training theory of the sport.
- Demonstrated ability to lead & inspire diverse youth. Experience working with lower income students is preferred.
- Demonstrated exceptional organizational and planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and lead a team of coaches.