The Varsity Head Coach is responsible for helping each participating student achieve a high level of skill, an appreciation for the values of discipline and sportsmanship, and an increased level of self-esteem. The Varsity Head Coach reports to the Athletic Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible with Athletic Director for all matters relating to the organization, administration and philosophy of the sport under his/her direction.
- Serves in a leadership capacity to the community program.
- Oversees the high school program in his/her sport.
- Adheres to the MHSAA Coaches Guidebook and TCAPS Coaches Handbook; Acts as a positive role model on and off the court/field/site, etc.
- Coaches individual participants in the skills necessary for excellent achievement in the sport involved.
- Maintains competency in MHSAA rules, event procedures, coaching techniques and general information about all aspects of the sport.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Valid teaching certificate and a bachelor’s degree preferred.
- First aid and CPR training required.
- MHSAA’s Coaches Advancement Program (CAP) Level 1 or 2 certification required of new Varsity Head Coaches (effective 2016-2017).
- Experience in teaching, coaching, and sports medicine preferred.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.