The volunteer assistant coach for softball is responsible for assisting the head softball coach in implementing and directing all phases of a competitive NCAA Division III softball program at DePauw University. This includes recruiting quality student-athletes, organizing and planning practices and game strategies, scouting, coaching, scheduling, budgeting and planning team travel in compliance with University, conference and NCAA rules and regulations.
Essential Functions Statement(s):
- Understand and comply with NCAA Division III, conference and University rules and regulations.
- Demonstrate a philosophy that emphasizes academic priorities for student-athletes.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds and a commitment to a diverse community.
- Assist the head coach in the identification and recruitment of qualified student-athletes.
- Assist with evaluating program and unit effectiveness.
- Monitor student-athletes' academic progression.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Adaptability -Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Analytical Skills - The ability of the individual to gather raw data and to process that data into a meaningful form.
- Coaching and Development - Ability to provide guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas.
- Consensus Building - Ability to bring about group solidarity to achieve a goal.
- Diversity Oriented - Commitment to valuing a variety of different experiences, encouraging input and collaboration from campus stakeholders, including being mindful of experiences related, but not limited to: age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, socio-economic status, LGBTQ, and/or job type.
- Leadership - Ability to motivate and guide others to ensure performance in accordance with clear expectations and goals. It involves attracting, supporting, developing, and retaining a talented and diverse workforce.