Supervises, coordinates and promotes all phases of the middle school interscholastic athletic wrestling program.The coach assumes responsibility for teaching student-athletes the sport of wrestling and utilizes demonstrations of skill development progression to teach fundamental skills and team strategy. Teaches sportsmanship and stresses responsibility to one’s team and respect for others; plans and schedules conditioning activities to develop sport fitness needed to achieve a degree of individual and team success. The person is directly responsible to the principals and works in cooperation with the faculty manager.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Coaching experience in wrestling at the middle school or junior high school level preferred; coaching experience in organized community sports considered.
- Sport First Aid and CPR Certification preferred.
- Participation in wrestling at the high school, collegiate or professional level(s) preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the media, parents, school administration and community is also required.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; leadership and supervisory skills necessary; dependable and reliable a must.
- Involvement in professional development activities designed to improve his or her skills coaching wrestling strategies, wrestling tactics or wrestling techniques preferred.
Coaches currently employed or engaged by a PIAA Member School must complete two courses:
1- Coaching Education.
2- First Aid.
Fist time coaches hired at any PIAA school after July 1, 2018 will have two years from their date of hire to complete the requirements.
Annual completion of (2) PA Department of Education Training Courses:
1. Concussion Training Course.
2. Sudden Cardiac Arrest Training Course.
2. Ability to teach sportsmanship, cooperation and responsibility to team members.
3. Demonstrates through experience, a commitment to devote long hours and weekends to the wrestling program
4. Conducts a pre-season and post season wrestling conditioning program.
5. Ability to supervise and conduct safe practices and contests.
6. Ability to accurately assess the talents and abilities of team members.
7. Ability to promote athletes to college recruiters.
8. Participate in a successful recruitment program.
9. Ability to display competency in coaching philosophy, knowledge of PIAA rules and regulations, and NCAA Student- Athletic Eligibility requirements.
10. Ability to respond to player injuries by using first aid techniques.
11. Must be able to maintain uniforms, equipment and school facility.
12. Must be able to supervise bus, locker room and team members.
13. Must be able to monitor team members' attendance, grades and personal conduct.
14. Conducts other duties as assigned by the principal of the school.