The Sports Coach and/or Program Instructor are responsible for planning and leading the Durango Parks and Recreation Department’s programs, including sports and activities.
Essential Job Duties:
- Participate in pre-season staff orientation/training program.
- Arrive at the job site at the assigned scheduled time.
- Organize and lead special activities, enrichment and sports programs, and other recreational activities.
- Submit lesson plans and supply requests to the Recreation Supervisor.
- Work in cooperation with all staff to create fun, exciting programs for participants of all ages.
- Emphasize and model good sportsmanship in sports, games and other activities.
- Attend staff meetings and in-service training.
- Dress appropriately when on duty. Staff shirts should be worn while on duty to ensure staff members are easily distinguishable.
- Ensure the safety and well being of each participant by making sure all playing surfaces are free of hazards and by not putting players in potentially dangerous situations through inappropriate drills, weather conditions, or mismatched opponents.
- Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, CPR, AED and 1st Aid certifications.
- Possession of a valid Colorado driver’s license (where applicable).