The YMCA focus is to strengthen communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director and/or Head Swim Coach, and in accordance with the mission and policies of the YMCA, will contribute to the overall goals of the YMCA of Greater Birmingham.
- Assist the Head Coach to develop and maintain a competitive youth swim program.
- Direct and supervise swimmers.
- Direct swim instruction that is tailored to the needs and abilities of individual swimmers.
- Direct, instruct, model proper routines as they relate to work out and warm-up procedures; shallow water entries and racing starts; etc.
- Provide direct supervision of swimmers at all times.
- Effectively communicate and educate swimmers of risk factors in the sport.
- Ensure fair practice and swim-meet experiences that relate to each athlete’s ability and experience.
- Maintain safety around the pool deck at all times.
- Remain alert and aware of potential hazards in and around practice and swim meet areas.
- Minimum 19 years of age.
- Minimum one year teaching experience.
- Coaching Certification: YMCA Principles of Competitive Swimming & Diving and/or USA Swimming Certification.
- Familiar with the philosophy and regulations of YMCA swimming and USA Swimming.
- Must be able to relate and work with diverse groups of people in a friendly and consistent manner.
- Current American Red Cross or YMCA Lifeguard Certification.
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Attend in-service twice monthly during May - August and once monthly during September - April.